Prud’homme – Roquier House

Architectural details uncovered during restoration indicate the Prud'homme-Rouquier Home was built in 1806. It is located on property belonging to Francois Rouquier of North Carolina, acquired through a Spanish land grant between 1764 and 1800. In 1778, Rouquier married Marie Louise Prud'homme, daugher of Jean Baptiste Prud'homme, "Doctor of the King", and an important figure in Natchitoches history. Francois Rouquier was a very wealthy landowner, and his home was considered a showplace of its time, containing more elaborate architectural details than other structures in the area.

After Rouquier's death in 1811, the home was sold to his daughter, Marie Louise Henrietta Rouquier, and her husband, Judge John C. Carr, a wealthy plantation owner and prominent citizen. During the decade following 1835, they extensively remodeled the house. The staircase and more ornate wood molding throughout were probably added at that time.

The League restored the house to this 1825 to 1840 period, the earliest documented period of architectural significance. Extreme care has been taken to preserve all original architectural details, including the cypress doors throughout. The pegged cypress beams and exposed bousillage designate the structure of the walls in the rear rooms.

446 Rue Jefferson
Historic Natchitoches
(800) 889-7462
Category: 
Activities
Activity Type: 
Attractions
Available for: 
Weddings
Meetings